Wednesday, December 24, 2014

DECEMBER MEETING

by Kathy Cannon Wiechman

      Every December, one of my critique groups has a holiday party instead of our regular meeting. We share good food and a few small gifts. In place of things to critique, we share stories or poems with a winter or holiday theme.

     I can recall past year's, where Kathy M. shared written images of her horse Chance trotting through the snow and Josephine told stories of life in El Dorado, Arkansas.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/10273905370498646/

     This year, microbiologist Michele passed around enhanced pictures of cells that rivaled a light show, and illustrator Christina shared the beautiful work that always keeps her busy with deadlines. Tracy showed us the book she worked on that will come out next month and Josephine wrote a moving essay on the true spirit of Christmas. But mostly, we shared camaraderie and friendship.
Dividing cell
http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=315&cookieConsent=A
     I have written a few Christmas poems over the years, but I usually write a new Christmas story every year. I have belonged to this group for 25 years, so I have accumulated a lot of stories. Because of my interest in historical fiction, I have written stories from every decade of the twentieth century, as well as stories from the nineteenth and twenty-first centuries. Two of my Christmas stories won cash prizes in short story contests. One of them won two prizes. But the prizes were nice extras. My main reason for writing the stories was to share them with the group at our December meeting.
Leadenhall Market, London, Christmas 1935. http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/09/28/the-markets-of-old-london/

     This group of writers and illustrators has become a group of great friends, without whose insight and encouragement my writing would not be what it is. This seems like a good time to thank them all for the wisdom they shared over the years. Thanks, friends, and Merry Christmas!

     And to all of you blog friends, I wish a happy holiday, in whatever way you choose to celebrate.

May 2015 be a good year for all my friends!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann, and I love your tradition of sending holiday cards with your gorgeous photos.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kim. You've been quoted at Life by Chocolate - one of the top 20 comments of the year. Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Kathy! Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. So glad to see your posts on Swagger again.

      Delete