Wednesday, November 6, 2013

THE SPIDER

Today's post is part of the

by Kathy Cannon Wiechman

One day last summer when I walked out to my front porch to water my flowers, I walked through a spider web—a sticky, cling-to-my-face spider web. I knocked down the entire web.

The next day, it was back. This time the sun caught on its threads and I saw it before I walked into it. Again, I knocked it down.

Day after day, it happened again. And day after day, I knocked it down. I knew to get rid of it once and for all, I had to catch the culprit. Yes, I know that spiders kill harmful insects. And yes, I read CHARLOTTE’S WEB. But this was no Charlotte, and I was getting annoyed.

I wound the web around a stick, spider and all, and relocated it away from my yard.

I no longer walk through a spider web to water my flowers (which have finished out their season now). I don’t know if the spider spins its webs in my neighbor’s yard. But that spider was a lesson in persistence for me. It kept spinning webs even though it had to spin a new one every day. It never gave up.

As a writer, I have to persist as well. After each rejection, I have to go over my work, fix what can be fixed and try again. Sometimes I have to start all over from the beginning. But I’m a writer. I keep spinning those stories and shaping those words. I’ll never give up.

6 comments:

  1. I'm co-hosting IWSG this month. Nice to meet you. Love this post. In order to make it in this business, persistence is key. Keep spinning your stories no matter what and you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for hosting. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on keeping the spiders away from the doors, but now I'll think of their persistence each time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing where inspiration can come from. Thanks for your comment, Cindy.

      Delete
  3. I leave spider webs on the deck until I can photograph them. Thanks for the reminder about persistence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your photos, Ann! And I'd love to see one of yours with sunlight on a spider web. And keep persisting always.

      Delete