Saturday, April 27, 2013

X IS FOR X CHROMOSOME


by Kathy Cannon Wiechman

The X chromosome makes us female. XX is a girl; XY is a boy. That’s basically all I remembered from biology class about chromosomes.

But I learned a great deal more about that X after my grandson was diagnosed with Fragile X Syndrome (FXS). It seems that a mutation of that X chromosome causes this syndrome, and it’s genetic.

FXS is a “spectrum” disorder that can cause speech problems, learning disabilities, extreme shyness, sensory issues, hand flapping, autism, and severe mental retardation. It can be detected with a blood test, and our family lined up to be tested after our grandson’s diagnosis.

I don’t carry it, but my husband does. Both my daughters carry it, but not my sons. (It can’t be passed father-to-son because it’s an X chromosome.) All three of my grandchildren have it, and they exhibit different degrees of “special needs.”
Kathy with her grandchildren

We have learned a great deal about genetics, but we’ve learned even more about love and “specialness” from our grandkids.

A nun friend once told me that “God gives special children to special people.” I am proud of the mothers my daughters have become, and I feel blessed to be part of this wonderful family.

To learn more about Fragile X, go here.

18 comments:

  1. A lovely and thoughtful post. Sending hugs to you and your family. The kids have a special grandma too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing woman, mother and grandmother! Love to you, special lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment from one of the most special mothers I know is a real compliment. Thank you for the compliment & the love.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post by a great grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those on the margins teach the rest of us a great deal. It works both ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we often have little say in the hand we are dealt. Might as well make the best of it & open our hearts to the possibilities. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. What an enlightening post and it is wonderful that a loving Grandma is spreading the knowledge so others can learn and be aware.

    Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's important for people to be aware that there are often reasons for something like autism, & you or your child can be tested for it. That way you can make educated decisions about future children.

      Delete
  6. This is such a wonderful and brave post. I know a small about about FXS, mostly from my biology classes. I've never met someone in real life (is this real life if I still haven't exactly met you?) who has had loved ones affected by it.

    You seem like to perfect grandmother to some excellently special kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I think thre should be a real life category for people who have conversations on the blogosphere, even if they've never met face-to-face.

      Delete
  7. Be proud, your grandchildren look absolutely beautiful. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. I love the quote from your nun friend. It might not always hold true, but I've met my share of special children and their very special families--always an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know several mothers of special-needs kids, & they inspire me every day.

      Delete
  9. Your grandchildren are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete