Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Redwoods : A Writer's Dream Come True

by Regina Gort

My husband and I recently celebrated our 10-year wedding anniversary by taking a trip to the Redwoods.

It was the first time away from our three girls for an extended amount of time. It was the honeymoon we couldn't afford at the time we got married and would haven't truly appreciated then anyway. To even plan the trip was a feat.

But we got there.

We flew into Portland, Oregon and then drove out to the coast and followed the ocean down Highway 1 to the Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park. We stayed at a cabin right on the Smith River.
And every morning we read poetry, wrote and then headed out the door for a 6-mile hike. But nothing could prepare me for seeing the Redwoods. I had seen documentaries and photos. And I knew that they would be big.

But nothing prepared me for the magic.
Being in a forest of giants was beyond words. So much so that I couldn't write about them. I wrote about the ocean, the birds, rocks and even banana slugs.

Never before had I been silenced by such beauty.

That's how I knew I had found a muse. The trees sparked this desire, this longing to hear their words. So instead of trying to capture them, I simply enjoyed them.

The best part is that I brought them home with me. And I will spend my lifetime in the branches of the Redwoods, no matter where I am.



8 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, Gina. It's a place Jim & I have talked about going, but never made it. Thanks for the vicarious visit. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Jim have have have to go! And thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely! Silenced by such beauty, so true. My daughter just read a MG novel called Operation Redwood and enjoyed it so much it's now being passed from friend to friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh sounds like a book I need to check out! Thanks, Kristin.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder of a place I always wanted to go...and that we don't always have to go on extravagant European, Carribean, etc vacation to be in awe and inspired and proud of the vast nature our country still owns. I do wish their we're more but I guess we all came from somewhere and need a place to live.

    Dulcie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly reminds you of what a beautiful county we do live in.

      Delete
  4. Reading, writing, hiking in that awe-inspiring setting. {Sigh} Sounds like a piece of heaven.

    ReplyDelete