Monday, June 18, 2012

Moving or Disturbing the Muse

by Regina Gort

Our family just relocated 400 miles north of where we used to live.  I left 10 years of friends and two fantastic writing groups.

I left the place where I carved out myself as a writer. It was the first place that I allowed myself to call myself a writer.

 I made great connections and now I am starting over. I intend to continue to interact with my groups via e-mail. But it's not the same as having a physical group.

Not to mention I finally had my office almost perfect.
It would be very easy to fall into the procrastination mode. The cycle starts by skipping writing in my daily journal, not making time to read that one poem I promised to. Then using excuses like: all of our stuff is in boxes and I don't have my desk, paintings, notepads, etc.

This list can go on and on.

In the past, I have even gone so far as to turn a deaf ear to my muse.

But I know better.

I know how slippery the slope gets and I know how my quality of life is affected by not following through and doing the one thing that makes me feel whole: writing.

So I am sticking it out and finishing up the blogpost I owe my fellow Swaggers.

Thanks for keeping me honest. And here's to moving and a fresh start.

11 comments:

  1. Thinking of you as you settle in, Gina! One of the great things about moving: the chance to reinvent yourself. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene. I am really excited about meeting new writers. And I am loving my new office(an upstairs porch in a cabin overlooking Lake Superior)

      Delete
  2. The best thing about being a writer is you can do it anywhere! A writer friend works at her laptop in a bagel shop every morning.I used to write in a game room where I made change. Settle in & bloom where you've replanted yourself. And I bet the Muse will rise out of Lake Superior often. Can't wait to read all the new "lakey" poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I there will be "lakey" poems! I think we should consider a summer get together next year. I'll host :)

      Delete
  3. I'll drink to that! here's to a moving fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts! Moving is hard, even when you aren't leaving behind a place where your memories are tied. I wish you the very best and I know your roots will set down again and your muse will find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Juliana. I am keeping a keen eye out for my muse.

      Delete