Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mount Vacillation

by Kim Van Sickler



This post is part of the first-Wednesday-of-the-month IWSG. Read more about it here.

Rather than focus on writing my break-out novel, I've been vacillating. Maybe that's what happens once you've written four novels that you feel should be somewhere besides your computer hard drive by now. (Okay two of them shouldn't be, but two should be.)
Vacillation
http://www.cheeseburgersinthesky.com/2010/06/21/vacillation/
I've actually had a bit of fun writing a slew of short stories lately. In January, I wrote two short stories for the Highlights Magazine fiction contest AND an adult story for the Chicago Tribune's Nelson Algren short story contest. In February I wrote two adult short stories for Glimmer Train while I sat by my Mom's hospital bedside. Now that it's March, I've started revising my MG historical fiction novel and am determined to finish it before the month is out.

And I've been reading a lot so far in 2014: Robinson Crusoe, Steering Toward Normal, Before You Break, Tenth of December, Boy in the Twilight: Stories of the Hidden China, Tampa, and Divergent.

But all of this literary activity can't quite fool me into forgetting that it's time to start writing a new book. Either that, or dust off one of my earlier attempts and basically re-write it. I've been waiting for that little spark to show me the way. So far, no spark. I'm going to have to light my own fire.

Do you ever have trouble deciding which book you want to spend the next [insert appropriate number of months here] creating, nursing, mulling, dreaming?

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been super productive. No, I haven't had this problem yet. Mine is getting the time to finish the project I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! You're so busy I don't see how you have much time to write. Good luck making it count.

      Delete
  2. OH yeah, oh yeah. I haven't let myself start other projects BUT it has taken me too-many-years (or at least what i thought would be too many years) to write. Loved the graphic! ANd actually, I guess that journey is part of the process of discovering our stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I don't want to invest all the time required to write a book unless I'm excited with the story first. So my first homework assignment is to find something new to get excited about.

      Delete
  3. I love the Mt. Vacillation graphic! It hit a little too close to home LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great graphic. There are a lot more fun ones too over at Cheeseburgers in the Sky. http://www.cheeseburgersinthesky.com/

      Delete
  4. Yes, I've got so many novels on the cooker, my head's spinning. But hey, you might think about embracing self-publishing. It's here to stay. My best performing book was self-published. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, self-publishing is something I plan to look into. That's interesting that your high seller was a self-published one. Congrats!

      Delete
  5. That's me, up there beside you on that mountain. Now that I've finished revisions on Novel #11, I'm wondering whether I should go back to Novel #9 and shake up the plot (which means another total rewrite of a book I've rewritten several times already) or move on to one of 3 ideas for new novels. If I move on, which one should I focus on? The one that excites me or the one my editor might get excited about? Yep, I'm up there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the graphic of Mt. Vacillation. Oh, yeah. Ideas just abound in my head and I have several completed manuscripts from back when I didn't know anything. LOL It's hard to pick one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old manuscripts. Do I even bother trying to resuscitate them or is it hopeless? I hate to write them off entirely b/c I still love the story ideas.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on all those short stories! That's impressive. I tend to have just one good idea at a time and wouldn't know what to do with more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, one good idea at a time is pretty darn good. It gives you complete focus. :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm working on revisions right now to submit. Then, need to work on memoir revisions for a submission. Upcoming conferences and writing retreats have made me think about revisions and polishing my work ... deadlines really help. Good luck,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Stacy. And that's really where I'm at right now too. Feeling like I need to make something happen with something I've already written before I embark on a new book. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the best part is that you're still writing and releasing that energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have lots of writing energy. [Snap, crackle, pop] :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh, I wrote something for the Nelson Algren contest once. I'm shocked to think about how long ago that was. I never really have the next idea till it's time for it. Sometimes that worries me, but so far there's always another book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, you don't seem to have a lack of ideas. I'm so honored to have been allowed to beta read two of your wonderful MG mysteries!

      Delete
  12. I am horrible at short stories. I think they are so hard to write, so be proud of that! I often work on several projects at a time. When I get stuck as to which one to work on, I put names in a hat and draw one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on all of your short stories, Kim! I can relate to your graphic minus all of the great ideas! I hope that your mom is doing better.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete