Monday, September 3, 2012

GUTGAA meet 'n greet!


GUTGAA is here! Welcome to Swagger and our GUTGAA representative:

MEET Kathy Cannon Wiechman:
I’ve been a writer since I was five. I made time over the years to be a student and a reader, a babysitter and a friend, a teacher and a PTO president, a caretaker and a mentor, a wife and a mom. I took up hobbies and studied history, but I never stopped being a writer. I never will. My poems have appeared in Ladybug magazine and on the Meadowbrook Press website, and my short stories have won prizes from the Children’s Writer.
Kathy Cannon Wiechman
Q & A:

Where do you write?
Anywhere and everywhere, but mostly in my “Good & Plenty” office. (It has pink walls and is decorated in black and white, the colors of Good & Plenty candy.)

Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?
A folder with the first 157 pages of my Work In Progress, waiting to be completed

Favorite time to write?
Between lunch and supper. (God bless the crockpot.)

Drink of choice while writing?
Water or Diet Coke, depending on whether I need caffeine.

When writing, do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?
Neither. I write to the sounds of my house (the fan running or heat kicking on, my husband rummaging in the fridge or my neighbors’ voices), but once I get going, I’m usually too focused to notice any of it.

What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?
The idea for my Work In Progress was an exhibit at the Ohio River Museum in Marietta, OH. It was a story that spoke to me and inspired me to share it.

What’s your most valuable writing tip?
Become your characters. Once you do that, point of view, setting, story, and voice will all fall into place.

For more information on GUTGAA, go to http://deanabarnhart.blogspot.com/2012/07/sign-up-time-for-gearing-up-to-get.html

GREET Kathy Cannon Wiechman. Leave a comment or ask a question.

22 comments:

  1. I LOVE "good & plenty". Now I'm hungery for some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by & becoming a follower. Hope you get some Good 'N' Plenty soon. And may your progress be good & plenty as well.

      Delete
  2. Hey there from GUTGAA! Your writing room sounds really fun, you should post a picture. Also: great writing advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Meghan! A picture of my writing room was posted by fellow-Swagger Juliet Bond in her post of May 28, 2012. You can check it out there. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Saying hello from GUTGAA... How wonderful that you're a published poet. I too love my crockpot.
    Look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia, for your comment & for becoming a follower of Swagger. We love meeting new people!

      Delete
  4. This is one I haven't seen and is so good: 'Become your characters'.

    LOVE that.

    So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley, thanks for following Swagger. Nice meeting you, too. Hope the tip will be helpful.

      Delete
  5. I'm a sucker for museums, so I'm really interested by your story inspiration! That's so cool.

    One of my good friends works for a museum, and she visited one in Indianapolis (their Historical Society I think) that has living exhibits. For example, they took a photo from their collection and researched the people in the photo, then recreated the scene and hired actors to exist in the scene and answer questions for museum attendees. And it's not a one-time thing, they have this ongoing. I was so fascinated!

    Anyway, good luck with GUTGAA Here's my GUTGAA Meet & Greet post: A Girl and her Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking us out, Stephanie. I'm less than 2 hours from Indianapolis, so I'll have to find the museum you mentioned.

      Delete
  6. I love your tip to become your characters. I find as soon as I have difficulty inserting myself into a particular head, then it's time to reassess whether they belong in the story. I have one guy whose patiently waiting in the wings for his time to shine... this wasn't his story, but he has one coming soon! See you around GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette, I love how you're saving your character for "his time to shine." One of the great things about writing is you never have to really "lose" anything you write. You just save them for the right time.

      Delete
  7. Yep, you're advice is spot on. It's an amazing feeling when the character takes control. I just have to try and keep up. Good luck with GUTGAA. Please, stop by and say hello if you haven't already. http://anjeasandro.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in, Angie. I'll check out your blog ASAP.

      Delete
  8. Seems like a very cool writing room, Kathy! I would love to see pics:) Very nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Nice to meet you, too. There's a pic of my writing space on fellow-Swagger Juliet Bond's post of 5/28/12 if you want to check it out.

      Delete
  9. Hi. Nice to meet you. Love the writing tip. Good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh! What a cool sounding office. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone suggested I get a licorice-scented candle to complete the "Good 'N' Plenty" atmosphere, but that might be too distracting. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really late getting around to say hello, but I am determined to say hi to everyone's in this blog hop, even if it takes me all month to finish!

    I love your writing tip. That's great. Become my character and everything else falls into place. I'm printing that out and taping it to my desk!

    Nice to meet you and best of luck this month:) I'm a new follower, wishing you success with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find the tip helpful. It always works for me. Thanks for following us. I hope you made it into the agent pitch contest. I didn't, but I'm pulling for the rest of you.

      Delete